|China in Photos - the 29th Beijing Summer Olympic Games|
The Beijing Olympic flame was slowly extinguished in a sweet song. A big party of farewell indicated the perfect end of the Beijing Olympic Games. People were reluctant to leave and made the appointment in London after 4 years.
01. Chinese President Hu Jintao hosts a welcoming luncheon in honor of world dignitaries who are here to attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in the Great Hall of the People on Aug. 8, 2008, to welcome 86 political personages from all over the world. This photo shows International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge, Hu Jintao and Mrs. Hu, US President George W. Bush and Mrs. Bush, Russian Premier Vladimir Putin (from left to right) are entering the banqueting hall together.
02. At the night of Aug. 8, 2008, the opening ceremony of Beijing Olympic Games is held in "Bird's Nest"---the National Stadium. The brilliant and magnificent fireworks light the sky and impress everybody so much.
03. In the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games, actors display the brilliant Chinese ancient civilization through ink and wash landscape painting, poetry of Tang and Song Dynasties and four great inventions including compass, gunpowder, papermaking and movable-type printing by performing on a scroll.
04. There are 11,000 athletes from 204 countries and regions participated in 28 summer sports including 302 events of Beijing Olympic Games, which enables the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games become the largest party of Olympic family. This photo shows on Aug. 8, 2008, delegations from all over the world are entering the National Stadium in the opening ceremony of the 29th Beijing Olympic Games.
05. Chinese Delegation consisted of 1,099 personages, including 639 athletes, which is the largest delegation of the 29th Olympics and also the largest one of its history. Chinese Delegation ranks the 1st in the medal standing by winning 51 gold medals. Winning 100 medals, Chinese delegation has gained the most medals in its Olympic history. This photo shows Yao Ming --- a famous basketball player, holding Chinese National Flag in hands, are leading Chinese Delegation to enter the National Stadium together with Lin Hao --- a little hero in quake-hit areas of Sichuan.
06. Usain Bolt --- a Jamaican Track & Field athlete, has broken the world records and won three medals in 100m, 200m and 4 x 100m relay in the Beijing Olympic Games. He is now known as the "world's fastest man".
07. In the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, team competition of table tennis became the Olympic event for the 1st time. As the host, China has won all of the four gold medals in team men, team women, singles men and singles women. This photo shows Wang Liqin and Wang Hao in a match.
08. Chinese Gymnastics Team has won 9 gold medals, 1 silver medal and 4 bronze medals in the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, which is the best performance ever. Chinese Women's Gymnastics Team has won the 1st gold medal in Team Competition Women in its Olympic history.
09. In the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, "Dream Team 8"--- the American basketball team beat Spanish team --- the champion of World Men's Basketball Championship at 118:107, which enables them win the gold medal of the world competition after 8 years.
10. The Beijing Olympic Games attracted 204 countries and regions to participate in, which enables it to involve the largest number of countries and regions. Under the spirit of one world, one dream, Montenegro and other two countries participated in the Olympic Games for the 1st time, Mongolia, Panama and other countries won their gold medals for the 1st time and Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Mauritius and other countries won their medals for the 1st time. This photo shows the scene of Bahrain's Rashid Ramzi is winning the gold medal of men's 1500m in Beijing Olympic Games. It is Bahrain's 1st gold medal after Bahrain has participated in Olympics since 1984.
11. Chinese President Hu Jintao and Mrs. Hu invited International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge and Mrs. Rogge to watch the table tennis team women final.
12. After the final of the Women's 10m Air Pistol on Aug. 10, 2008, Natalia Paderina of Russia who won the silver medal and Nino Salukvadze of Georgia who won the bronze medal hugs each other closely. However, the war was just set off between Russia and Georgia two days before.
13. Beijing Olympic venues are one of the complexes that employ solar energy to generate electricity in the world. The supply of solar energy, wind energy, geothermal energy and other green energy is over 26% among total energy supply. The construction of National Stadium, National Aquatics Center and other architectures conquered various technical difficulties, which fills in the blanks of technology of steel construction in China. The magnificent, comfortable and convenient Olympic venues have won admiration from athletes and coaches from all over the world.
14. Host Olympic Games is the dream of Chinese people for a hundred year. Chinese people participate in Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in a positive manner, and they are fulfilling the promise of "I participate, I contribute and I enjoy". This photo shows on Aug. 8, 2008, Chinese people and foreign visitors are gathering in Tian'anmen Square, Beijing, China, to celebrate the successful opening of Beijing Olympic Games and cheer up for the Olympics.
15. During the period of the Beijing Olympic Games, several activities were held for showing ancient Chinese national culture, to promote the exchange of Chinese culture and foreign culture and deepen the friendship, which has enriched the humanistic spirit of Olympic Games. This photo shows in Olympic Village, a work personnel is explaining the making technique of tiger-head shoes --- a kind of Chinese traditional handicraft to a foreign athlete.
16. Beijing Olympic Village boasts gym, net bar, spa, massage and other modern services, and services that embody Chinese traditional culture, such as teaching calligraphy and tea art, to provide good services for athletes. This photo shows a waitress is introducing Chinese tea culture to German visitors in the Olympic Village.
17. This photo shows, outside the Olympic venues, badge fans from all over the world are exchanging Olympic pins.
18. Oksana Chusovitina --- a 33-year old German gymnastics athlete participated in the Olympic Games for the 5th time to gain money for her child's treatment. Her story has touched many Chinese people, and several enterprises provide her economic aid. This photo shows Li Ning provides Chusovitina EURO 20,000 for her child's treatment.
19. During Olympic Games, over 500 families were selected as "Olympic homestays" to provide more than 700 guest rooms for visitors that came to Beijing for watch Olympic Games from both at home and abroad. This photo shows foreign guests are experiencing the charming walled quadrangle residences (siheyuan) of the old Beijing in an "Olympic homestay".
20. During the Beijing Olympic Games, the odd-even license plate rule was implemented and several Olympic traffic reserved lanes were set aside to facilitate Olympic vehicles. This photo shows vehicles for an Olympic team are running towards their destination rapidly through an Olympic traffic reserved lane.
21. The closing ceremony of the 29th Summer Olympic Games is held in "Bird's Nest" --- the National Stadium in Beijing at the night of Aug. 24, 2008. The wonderful closing ceremony indicated the perfect end of Beijing Olympic Games.
22. Over RMB 120 billion Yuan has been invested for improving the environment in Beijing during these 7 years. Thanks to the great efforts, the environmental quality in Beijing has been greatly improved, which gained the good evaluation from the air quality expert team of Beijing Olympic Games. This photo shows a Singapore athlete is drawing on the greenbelt in front of the north gate of Palace Museum for the beautiful Beijing city under the blue sky in a clear day in Aug.
23. On Aug. 24, 2008, Boris Johnson --- Mayor of London, U.K., the host of next Olympic Games receives the Olympic flag in the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games.